Avalon Travel, a member of the Perseus Books Group, is always looking for experienced, deadline-oriented freelance copy editors to help us produce our high-quality travel books.
Freelance copy editors work closely with Avalon’s in-house editorial staff to maintain an exceptional standard of writing and accuracy in grammar, spelling, and style. Travel books require timeliness—freelancers must be able to meet tight deadlines. All projects are transmitted electronically as Word files, and freelancers should expect to use the Track Changes function to input modifications and queries.
- At least 2 years of professional experience copyediting book-length manuscripts; editorial background in travel reference books is preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style (15th edition) and Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary (11th edition)
- Well-versed in Microsoft Word and comfortable with Track Changes
- Ability to manage projects with tight schedules
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Understanding of Quark coding
- Proficiency in foreign languages, especially Spanish, French, Italian, or German, is a plus.
To apply, please submit your resume and a brief cover letter via email. A list of completed projects and clients would also be helpful. Please type “Freelance Copy Editor---ATP” in the subject line. If you plan to send your resume as an attachment, please be sure to include your full name in the title of the document (e.g. Jane_Smith_resume.doc). Our average starting rate for freelancers is $20 per hour.
To learn more about what we do, check out www.moon.com.